Skip to main content

"The Last Stretch" by Anna Chand

The realization of the end of senior year hit me. It was a time that we got to relax and not stress. Dalat International School had a week off from school to transition into the last quarter. I only have one quarter left, two months to make memories and say goodbye. Goodbye to 10 years of my childhood. In two months, my life will drastically change, and I won’t even recognize it. I am going somewhere new, somewhere I have never lived before, and I do not know what to expect. 

The last stretch is different compared to the rest of senior year. It's harder to be motivated to finish your school work; senioritis is real. We feel like we have to finish the end right, making or breaking friendships. 

I asked Chloe Boyd (12) how she felt about it being the last quarter: “It’s sad, it’s bittersweet.” I think we can all relate to the bittersweetness of the end of senior year. We are excited to start a new chapter in our lives, but scared of what comes along with that. It’s the last two months to make an influence and to savor the time that I have left, to finish it strong and to make memories that I can remember for the rest of my life. I will never be in this chapter of my life again, and I have to take advantage of it. 

I reflect on all the lessons I’ve learned in my life and how I want to apply them. Along with realizing that I get a chance to start again, I have to use that chance wisely. I’m grateful for the time that I have left and excited for the new chapter that is heading towards me.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DINGBAT DALAT STUDENT SPENDS PRECIOUS TIME CONJURING UP SELF-REFERENTIAL SENIOR SCRIBBLE RATHER THAN GATHERING LEGITIMATE WORK

Yusoof Monawvil PENANG, MA - As the deadline drew near and the stars aligned in the night sky above the majestic waters of the Strait of Malacca, one particular Dalat student—Yusoof Monawvil (12), despite a plethora of school events to select and report on—opted instead to spend a remarkably well-wasted 24 minutes staring at a blank Google Docs page, fruitlessly drawing up and shooting down brainstormed ideas.  In a moment of sheer and undeniable epiphany, Monawvil deemed it only fitting to self-referentially satirize his own ingrained incompetence and dingbattery. Commenting on the flash of insight, Monawvil quoted himself, saying: “It all just kinda made sense. I went on DISCourse to look at the little rubric thing Ms. Grad and Mr. Hieber posted, and I checked if I was following all of the guidelines... And I technically am/was; [N]ot like there’s any specific direktive [sic] prohibiting self-quoting.”  In a turn of events, Monawvil did come to find his self-quoting en...

“I Miss Her” by Nikhil Pillay

While most people had a fun week for mid-semester break, whether it was spent with family, or with friends on impact trips, no one had a more emotionally confusing week than Judson Kenneth Robert Nosker (12).  In the light of recent events, Judson, despite all odds, had gotten in a relationship with one of his classmates, and as the break started, he had started to spend a lot of time with her. While with her, he started to experience a new level of joy and completeness that he had never felt before. In the words of Judson Nosker, “The first half of the break was good, but the rest of it was horrible.”  The reason for such a quote and the roller coaster of emotion was because half way through the break, disaster had struck. Judson’s girlfriend had gone on a trip with her family to Thailand, leaving Judson all alone. For the rest of the week, Judson was in a state of longing for her presence.  His friends have reported numerous occasions when Judson would be sitting with t...

Varsity Sports Award Ceremony

By Amos Koay On April 22, the Varsity Sports Awards was held in Harbor Hall. This was when people who had joined a Varsity sport would get acknowledgment for all the blood, sweat, and tears they sacrificed to fight for Dalat.  Many amazing athletes got the recognition they deserved. Some notable people are Romeo Kontsas (11), Isaac Lee (12), Naomi Weidemann (12), Josia DeJager (12), Joshua Morrison (12), DJ Yost (12), Caitlin Chan (11), and Alexia Nyul (12), who all got awarded MVP in their respective sports.   Although many people got different awards, one athlete stood above the rest of the players. One exceptional athlete who was in soccer, basketball, and track, where he broke multiple ACSC and school records for his sprints—the Male Athlete of the Year, Kyle Tang.  The following quote is what Kyle Tang (12) had to say about his achievements: "Winning athlete of the year is an incredible honor, especially with the amount of sacrifices I've spent improving myself ...