Skip to main content

"One Last Stop Amidst the March of Time" by Beom Woo Eun

 While other students returned from spring break with the anticipation of an ending academic year, many seniors arrived with mixed emotions, feeling the weight of graduation on their shoulders.


Spring break is a time of relaxation when students muster the last of their strength to push through the final quarter, which consists of a jumble of Advanced Placement and final exams. But for seniors who knew their graduation was only weeks away, they enjoyed it in diverse ways, from traveling with family to friend-group trips, bracing for the upcoming change. It was evident that this spring break was not just a simple pause but an indicator of an ending journey.


About half a year ago, I wrote a similar Senior Scribble about how seniors were working hard to finish their applications over fall break. But now that quite a few seniors have made concrete plans for their future, it seems a small transition has already begun, bringing them closer to adulthood. When asked what had helped her prepare for a new chapter of life beyond Dalat, Lee Yan Tan (12) replied, “Honestly, spring break felt like the process of moving into the next stage.”


This particular break carried greater weight for me than previous ones, not because I did anything meaningful but because I had the opportunity to reflect more deeply with fewer concerns in my mind. Especially because I was home alone for more than a week, nothing of significance happened. Without the usual academic pressure, eight days of solitude, which would have just slipped away as part of a mundane routine, felt unusually slow, leaving me huge chunks of purposeless time throughout the day.


This unsettling amount of free time morphed into hours of quiet thinking, which took place regardless of the location. Whether I was staring at the sky in the swimming pool or drinking a cup of coffee, my mind was occupied with thoughts about my life. It was just a turmoil of diverse questions, like wondering about career choices, embracing the upcoming responsibilities as an independent adult, and doubting myself about how I have lived out the past. While I was not able to reach a definite conclusion about any of them, I believe I gained a clearer vision of the life I want to pursue after leaving Dalat.


While my spring break wasn’t as eventful as others may have hoped theirs to be, I believe it was a crucial moment for me to gain a deeper understanding of myself. As sad as it is to mark the end of childhood, maybe spring break offers one last chance to look back and be amazed by how far we have come.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DINGBAT DALAT STUDENT SPENDS PRECIOUS TIME CONJURING UP SELF-REFERENTIAL SENIOR SCRIBBLE RATHER THAN GATHERING LEGITIMATE WORK

Yusoof Monawvil PENANG, MA - As the deadline drew near and the stars aligned in the night sky above the majestic waters of the Strait of Malacca, one particular Dalat student—Yusoof Monawvil (12), despite a plethora of school events to select and report on—opted instead to spend a remarkably well-wasted 24 minutes staring at a blank Google Docs page, fruitlessly drawing up and shooting down brainstormed ideas.  In a moment of sheer and undeniable epiphany, Monawvil deemed it only fitting to self-referentially satirize his own ingrained incompetence and dingbattery. Commenting on the flash of insight, Monawvil quoted himself, saying: “It all just kinda made sense. I went on DISCourse to look at the little rubric thing Ms. Grad and Mr. Hieber posted, and I checked if I was following all of the guidelines... And I technically am/was; [N]ot like there’s any specific direktive [sic] prohibiting self-quoting.”  In a turn of events, Monawvil did come to find his self-quoting en...

“I Miss Her” by Nikhil Pillay

While most people had a fun week for mid-semester break, whether it was spent with family, or with friends on impact trips, no one had a more emotionally confusing week than Judson Kenneth Robert Nosker (12).  In the light of recent events, Judson, despite all odds, had gotten in a relationship with one of his classmates, and as the break started, he had started to spend a lot of time with her. While with her, he started to experience a new level of joy and completeness that he had never felt before. In the words of Judson Nosker, “The first half of the break was good, but the rest of it was horrible.”  The reason for such a quote and the roller coaster of emotion was because half way through the break, disaster had struck. Judson’s girlfriend had gone on a trip with her family to Thailand, leaving Judson all alone. For the rest of the week, Judson was in a state of longing for her presence.  His friends have reported numerous occasions when Judson would be sitting with t...

Varsity Sports Award Ceremony

By Amos Koay On April 22, the Varsity Sports Awards was held in Harbor Hall. This was when people who had joined a Varsity sport would get acknowledgment for all the blood, sweat, and tears they sacrificed to fight for Dalat.  Many amazing athletes got the recognition they deserved. Some notable people are Romeo Kontsas (11), Isaac Lee (12), Naomi Weidemann (12), Josia DeJager (12), Joshua Morrison (12), DJ Yost (12), Caitlin Chan (11), and Alexia Nyul (12), who all got awarded MVP in their respective sports.   Although many people got different awards, one athlete stood above the rest of the players. One exceptional athlete who was in soccer, basketball, and track, where he broke multiple ACSC and school records for his sprints—the Male Athlete of the Year, Kyle Tang.  The following quote is what Kyle Tang (12) had to say about his achievements: "Winning athlete of the year is an incredible honor, especially with the amount of sacrifices I've spent improving myself ...