Tuesday 20 September 2022

The Leader that Failed to Prepare

By Chika Tsumagari 

Eagle Games is Dalat’s “sports day” that happens every year in the first quarter. There are four houses: Wave, Quake, Bolt, and Blaze. Each house is divided into smaller teams of about 12 people, two of which are senior leaders. As an underclassman, I remember looking up to them, thinking that it must have taken a lot of time and effort for them to be able to lead a group. I had just assumed that based on their confident attitude to be leaders. However, I found out as a senior that really the leaders are just as clueless as their underclassmen teammates. 

I was given the role of being the leader of my Eagle Games group alongside with Soo Wei Goh for a Quake team. I admit I was excited and feeling confident about being given a responsible leading position. Mentally, I was prepared to go to our first x-block meeting and meet my group for the first time. I had already taken the blank quake flag and markers as leaders were instructed to, ready to make a good impression to my teammates. Until Soo Wei came up to me and insincerely apologized, saying that he couldn’t make it because he has a physio appointment. Suddenly, a rush of panic attacked me when I realized that I had to lead a group by myself. To make matters worse, I was unable to attend the leaders’ meeting the week before, which puts me in the same position as my teammates. 

I walked into the meeting unprepared, unsettled, and uncool. I had even forgotten the card that had the list of my teammates. Fortunately, I had a reliable teammate in sophomore year who had the list of members on her phone. Because of her, I was able to gather my teammates and had them sit down in a circle. However, that’s when I realized, I didn’t know what I was supposed to do. The meeting had barely begun, and I had already failed to be a responsible leader. I felt sorry for my teammates and ashamed of myself. That was when I remembered Mr. Kilgo’s pep talk on being a senior. He said, “These people (underclassmen), especially freshman, look up to you. Know that and be nice to them.” Although I was no leader, my teammates do not have any other choices and I had to make sure we were going to have a productive meeting. So I started off by having my teammates introduce themselves.

 It’s interesting how all these years of looking up to seniors, I had unconsciously studied how to approach underclassmen and think of efficient ways to behave under pressuring moments. Although my leadership experience did not start off well, I was able to pick myself up and eventually finish eagle games with a big win! For that, I thank all the leaders I’ve had before and my patient teammates. 

No comments:

Post a Comment