Skip to main content

"Pink" by Jay Chong

Although we have sometimes chosen the pink color, from now on, let’s choose the “right thing.”

Sky blue in 2024; purple in 2025; and now, in 2026, PINK. If God were to take away our free will, the PINK Seniors would not be everywhere at Dalat. This is not because it is painful to our eyes– which is true–but because it leads us to complain too much, which is probably sin.

We have the freedom to choose many things, which has resulted in not choosing the best color.

You can clap your hands when you want, you can take a walk when you want a breeze, and you can help others if you want to make the “right choice.” 

Since we have the freedom of choice, let’s use it for the good! Let's reject the “pink” one! “Let’s do the ‘right’ thing,” as Mr. Arnold–the new high school principal and, apparently, an ice-cream lover–emphasized on the first day of school! Let's make our friends smile one more time! Let's welcome our new friends as we were welcomed when we first came to Dalat!

There is always one friend who loves welcoming new friends, and of whose ability to smoothly start conversations without creating any awkwardness I am sometimes jealous. As you might have guessed, his name is Wonhoo Shin (12). I thought that I would get lots of help from interviewing him, so I did.

I asked, “What was the highlight of the first week of school?” and his reply matched his personality: “Reuniting with friends was so fun, especially  returning students.” I am not an expert at making new friends without making myself feel uncomfortable. That is probably because I sometimes find it difficult to start a conversation with a stranger. My pink shirt, however, might help me to gain confidence and grab some attention from the new students, making a conversation more natural. 

Due to the attention-grabbing pink color, it’s unfortunate that some people don’t want to wear it. But there are some good things in it. It’s hilarious to look at! It made me laugh when the Senior English Class was filled with pinky pinky people. It eliminates all the worries of being lost. It makes you more noticeable and known–if you enjoy being known in that way. 

The reason I remind us of the good things is because we have to search for the Joy. I hope pink does not blind your eyes to look forward to the goal. I hope the nervousness or fear that comes with a new school year does not obliterate your excitement. I hope you walk confidently no matter where you are as a proud Dalat student. 

As James says, “Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds” (James 1:2).

Finally, I hope you have the heart to genuinely accept the Word and contend for the faith–even when the trial is pink.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

DINGBAT DALAT STUDENT SPENDS PRECIOUS TIME CONJURING UP SELF-REFERENTIAL SENIOR SCRIBBLE RATHER THAN GATHERING LEGITIMATE WORK

Yusoof Monawvil PENANG, MA - As the deadline drew near and the stars aligned in the night sky above the majestic waters of the Strait of Malacca, one particular Dalat student—Yusoof Monawvil (12), despite a plethora of school events to select and report on—opted instead to spend a remarkably well-wasted 24 minutes staring at a blank Google Docs page, fruitlessly drawing up and shooting down brainstormed ideas.  In a moment of sheer and undeniable epiphany, Monawvil deemed it only fitting to self-referentially satirize his own ingrained incompetence and dingbattery. Commenting on the flash of insight, Monawvil quoted himself, saying: “It all just kinda made sense. I went on DISCourse to look at the little rubric thing Ms. Grad and Mr. Hieber posted, and I checked if I was following all of the guidelines... And I technically am/was; [N]ot like there’s any specific direktive [sic] prohibiting self-quoting.”  In a turn of events, Monawvil did come to find his self-quoting en...

"Spikeball, Swimming, and Sickness: The Remnants of Senior Sneak" by Ee Rynn Ong

“Guys, I think we’re here,” said Jonathan Ooi (12) as he peeked out of the lorry to catch the first glimpse of our Senior Sneak location. This year’s Senior Sneak was held in Nomad Adventure, Gopeng, and the organizers planned many activities for the Class of 2026, ranging from traditional games like congkak and batu seremban to adrenaline-pumping ropes courses and whitewater rafting. These scheduled activities proved to be some of the best highlights of the trip, but top of that, the seniors were also given some daily free time to chat, explore, and relax. Josh Stevens (12) had come prepared for this with two spikeball nets, which immediately attracted attention from people eager to spend time in the outdoor sun. The next five days saw spikeball veterans and newcomers alike, spending their precious one and a half hours daily around the unassuming circular net, smashing the yellow ball in hopes of a victory.  Caleb Evans (12) was one of the newbies to spikeball, learning how the g...

“I Miss Her” by Nikhil Pillay

While most people had a fun week for mid-semester break, whether it was spent with family, or with friends on impact trips, no one had a more emotionally confusing week than Judson Kenneth Robert Nosker (12).  In the light of recent events, Judson, despite all odds, had gotten in a relationship with one of his classmates, and as the break started, he had started to spend a lot of time with her. While with her, he started to experience a new level of joy and completeness that he had never felt before. In the words of Judson Nosker, “The first half of the break was good, but the rest of it was horrible.”  The reason for such a quote and the roller coaster of emotion was because half way through the break, disaster had struck. Judson’s girlfriend had gone on a trip with her family to Thailand, leaving Judson all alone. For the rest of the week, Judson was in a state of longing for her presence.  His friends have reported numerous occasions when Judson would be sitting with t...