Tuesday 8 November 2016

"Tears falling onto the soil"

Aaron Chand
International schools all across the world have an abundance of one thing: international students. And those international students all bring their own cultures, heritage, and stories to their school communities. For me, Aaron Chand (12), that special culture, heritage, and story is none other than India—the land of chaos, beauty, and simplicity. It is a place that will always have a special spot in my heart.

It was in August of 2016 when I approached my family and asked for them to let me go one last time to this extraordinary nation before I graduate. They agreed, and I had never been more ready to return. I had not returned home for at least three years, and my cousins who I remembered to be mere toddlers had practically grown up. My job on this trip was fairly simple: take pictures and spend time ministering/encouraging the church leaders in that area.

In 2012, Forefront Mission began construction on a school that could facilitate grades K-12. Construction was long and tedious but finally, in October 2016, the school finished construction, found staff, and enrolled students. During my visit, we attended the school's inauguration ceremony; by ‘we’, I mean my father, our four main funders for the school, and myself. High and tall tents were set-up on the school grounds and hundreds of people, both Hindu and Christian, came to see what God had built in their region. This is a region that Christians were not allowed to enter four years prior. Celebration was in the air as people laughed, danced, and conversed. I was instantly welcomed by the warm hands of family and friends, who I had not seen for years. We all happily ate and talked about our lives. We all knew that God had great things in store for this school and how it would grow and grow until it fulfilled all the educational needs for that village.

We spent two more days in that village before our friends from America had to return home. We said goodbye as they went to the airport, and my dad and I journeyed on to Dehradun where my grandma and uncles live. They were in preparation for my cousin's wedding. As we drove 8 hours to Dehradun, we passed many armed soldiers and security checkpoints because tensions between India and Pakistan are extremely high right now. We arrived that night at my eldest uncle’s house. Instantly, my four-foot grandmother came to hug me; however, I followed the customs of Indian families and reached down to touch the feet of all of the elders of the house before hugging them. Overjoyed, my grandmother led me into the house and instantly presented me and my father with chai. We talked and caught up about everything that had happened to us over the past three years. I was instantly reminded of the simple lifestyle they live, without the internet or no real connection to the outside world. However, I can’t say it wasn’t refreshing as I was definitely glad to be around conversation where the topic of choice wasn't Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

The next day I was overwhelmed by tons of people coming to say ‘hello’ to me and my dad. Throughout the day, I heard, “Hello, Aaron! Do you remember me? I am your aunt's, brother's, daughter's, husband's cousin!” I would simply nod politely and say, “Ahhh yes, I do recognize your face!” In honesty, I hadn't the foggiest recollection who they were. The day flew by fast and was filled with laughter and joy as we all prepared for the eve of Diwali. That night, fireworks, curry, and the love of a family filled the air as we all enjoyed the little reunion.

Nevertheless, that little reunion had to come to an end and it was time to go home. We prepared to say our goodbyes. I saved my grandma for last because I knew that would be the hardest of them all. When finally the time came and I said goodbye, she instantly broke down crying for neither of us knew if we would ever see each other again, as her health has declined over the years. I could feel my heart cracking, and I begged God to work in her heart and help her experience the love of Jesus, as she has not yet fully accepted him as her Savior. I quickly said a prayer over her, and I and turned to get in the car which would take us to the airport. While driving away, I turned my head back to see her on her knees, tears falling onto the soil below. I felt my heart break knowing that that was possibly the last time I would ever see Grandma.  

It was a good trip full of joy, sadness, and love, and I know that I will forever look back on it with a smile on my face. The pictures I took will forever remind me of the great things God did within me and others during this amazing trip. I hope that, in the future, I can do more with missions and more with helping the community around me. Learning more about my culture and heritage really changed my perspective on things and showed me that I have a deep appreciation for cultures. I pray that I can share that culture with Dalat; I mean, after all, it is an international school.



1 comment:

  1. Aaron what a wonderful article. I found myself choking back some tears. Someday I must visit India. Thanks for being a blessing in my life.

    ReplyDelete