Wednesday 2 November 2016

Driven Dalat Debates

Sam Hofer
           
America was both awestruck with wonder and horror at three consecutive events—the presidential debates. Trump and Hillary exchanged verbal blows repeatedly, sometimes even talking about relevant issues. What I took from those debates was mainly just the amount of times the candidates interrupted the moderator. I think it’s somewhat sad that the candidates we have for the American elections are both as unappetizing as cinnamon and sugar flavored Pringles. I really enjoy the (ideally) honest and respectful discourse of politics, but sadly it rarely happens that way.

That is why I am incredibly proud of Dalat’s Presidential Debate.

Though the presidential debates ended in America, ours happened on November 3rd in Penang. Some students from Mr. Sasse’s American Government class took sides in a debate emulating that of the presidential debates in the States, with the exception of Gary Johnson, who also participated in Dalat’s debate. The teams representing Trump and Clinton each consist of five people, four of whom had an area they specialized in, such as the economy, foreign policy, personal issues, and social issues. Gary Johnson’s third party had only two people in that group (Noah Graves and Josiah Brake (12)). Participants meticulously prepared for the debate. I, on the Clinton team, even asked each teammate questions from the actual debate, looking for a competent (or political) answer.

 “Do you really want this man as president?” said Alan Luchtenburg, a die-hard Clinton supporter, during his opening statement.

I’m really happy that the Presidential Debates happened to fall on the year I am a senior, the one time I could participate. Though I am a bit disappointed to have been picked as a Democrat, I gladly take up the challenge. Dalat is a very conservative community, and I believe the honest discourse of competing theories in a respectful manner is the key to having an educated society.


Vote in Dalat’s election (and the real election, if you’re a U.S. citizen and adult) on November 8th!  

No comments:

Post a Comment