Tuesday 5 December 2023

To the Mountains

By Caleb Jun 

The bumpy roads took me out of my sleep, and as my eyes slowly adjusted to the light, I realized we had arrived at our Annual Dorm Retreat to Ipoh. 

Everyone's stomachs growled as we smelled the delicious fried rice, spring rolls, and many more cuisines before us. 

"This is bussin," said Mary Grace Guffy (11).

"I wish I had a stomach big enough to eat all the food," said JD Guffy (10) as he gobbled down his food. 

Strength renewed; some dorm kids were impatient to get on the white water raft, while others, feeling drowsy from so much food, proceeded to the housings for a relaxing long nap. Suffering from a back injury, I could not participate in the white water rafting, yet the housing area had a beautiful hill overlooking the mountains of Ipoh. As I looked over the mountains, it was a lovely time to slow down and reflect on the semester.

As the truck returned from white water rafting, drenched in water, everybody waddled their way back to the houses. It had rained the day before, so the currents were extra rough that afternoon. 

"I fell out of the boat four times. It was genuinely the most fun I had in months," Ryan Choi (12).

Dinner came soon after everyone showered, and during the evenings, we had a speaker who spoke about living with family members as a young adult, which touched many hearts. Additionally, we had a beautiful time of worship, singing hymns and songs praising God. 

Laughter and games filled the rest of the night, and a hint of melancholy brought tears to some seniors as this would be their last Dorm Retreat. I savored every moment during these brief two days. 

"Good times," Josh Morrson (12). It was a beautiful time to slow down and meditate on the semester which had gone by so fast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment