Tuesday 5 December 2023

A Passing Moment

By Yun Kil

The school year started with a bang--we’re finally seniors! With Sneak, hoodies, and privileges all on the way, the year seemed like something we could truly look forward to. However, as the novelty wore off during the first couple weeks of school, being a senior didn’t seem to be as glamorous as I had initially thought. From college applications to AP courses, school has been nothing short of stressful, and as we trudged onto the last week of semester one, the vast majority found ourselves scrambling to get all our work done. 

“I haven’t slept in days and I have to do a TED talk, I have to do a whole bunch of other work, and I feel as if I’m a racoon stuck in a cage and its eyes are like glued open and I CAN'T SHUT THEM!”  Noella Seevaratnam (12) exclaims, exasperated.

Other students, like Brendan Loke (12), realized early on how busy this year would be and with careful planning, avoided being bombarded with work during the final week, “You know you gotta plan out your year properly, plan out your time, and then you’ll have a relaxing final week of school.”

So what about me? Well, I wasn’t as diligent as Brendan--that’s for sure. I’m two weeks behind on my AP Psychology course that’s due next Monday, an essay due for my final project for Bible, a book for AP Lit, DAB practice, and on top of all that, a choir concert on Wednesday. Although stressful, I know that this is going to be my last time doing all of this, and I should take some time to breathe and appreciate what’s around me. 

As the year progressed, I realized that everything that stresses me out and excites me about high school is all fleeting- and I should take more time to appreciate it. My heart is filled with bittersweet feelings as I face this week’s work, and the idea of living in the moment to the fullest gives me the little nudge of motivation I need to march through this final week. Whenever I’m feeling lazy or overwhelmed with work, I remember that this too is a passing moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment