Tuesday 21 February 2023

The End is Near

By Haylee Douglas

The 2022-2023 Varsity Girls Basketball team traveled last week to attend ACSC in Bangkok, Thailand. It was the first ACSC for many of the girls on the team, but for 8 girls not only was it their first but also their last. 

Senior Ellie Guffy (12) expressed how she felt about it being her first and last ACSC: “It was really bittersweet that this was my first and last ACSC for basketball. I felt that experiencing the many highs and lows on the trip brought the team together.”

Within the weeks leading up to ACSC, the team practiced so hard and prepared so much in the hopes to bring back a gold for Dalat. Unfortunately despite the fight we put in, we could only bring back a silver. Losing that final was so hard, and the emotions that came after it were tremendous. But the pain of losing the final didn't so much come from just not winning, but that for most of the team it's something we can never go back to. We had one shot at the win and that was it. For us 8 girls, we can't go back next year to fight for it again and get our revenge. 

Not being able to go back is what hit me; this is senior year now. Everything we do is our last. There is no going back, there is no 2nd chance, there are no redos because we are leaving. The pain after the loss was so much more than losing; it was a reality check that the end is truly near. This was just the first of many painful lasts, but as we go forward with senior year, I want the seniors to really enjoy everything they do and put their best effort into everything. 

The team didn't get the gold, but I have no regrets for our team. We worked so hard from the beginning of the season to the end. We fought together as a team and bonded together as a team. I made a whole new family who I love so much and this is what I'm bringing forward with me as I graduate soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment