Tuesday 6 February 2024

The Stool

By Joseph Lee

ZING! QING! CLANG! RING! DING? BING!

Discordant sounds are roaring through the air in the industrial arts workshop. Machines make sounds that break the sound barrier, shirts are covered in sawdust, and there is the occasional sneeze. The Industrial Arts class is hard at work creating our first project.

Our first project was to create something for our loved ones. So, I asked around in my class about what they were doing for their project.

“I’m making a jewelry box for my mom,” said Michelle Morrow.

“I’m making a chair for my parents!” announced Caleb Jun.

“I’m making a cutting board for my mom,” said Daniel Pham.

For my project, I decided to make a stool for my mom. I may not be the tallest at school, but I am the tallest in my family. That means whenever my mom needs something from the top shelf, I have to help. But since I am going to university soon, I know that she will have a hard time getting things from the top shelf, so I wanted to make a stool so she can reach the items on the shelves without me and so I can be at peace knowing that she can get her items from the top shelf when I'm not around. 

The design of my stool is heavily inspired by Scandinavian design—a simplistic and minimalistic tone with a modern twist. The stool consists of two wood types. The seat of my stool is a dark wood that gives off a sleek and clean vibe, while the light wood of my legs contrasts with the color of the seat. The stool only consists of two legs that have a unique and uncanny design that doesn’t do too much to look like an eyesore but just enough to captivate someone’s attention when looked upon. 

The industrial arts project gives us not only a chance to showcase our creativity but also an opportunity to express our love and gratitude towards loved ones. I hope that my stool can act as a symbol of appreciation and love towards my mom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment