Thursday 15 February 2024

Xīn Nián Kuài Lè (Happy Chinese New Year)

By Douglas Koay

Last week, Dalat students celebrated Chinese New Year over the 4-day weekend. Chinese New Year is an annual celebration for the beginning of the new year based on the lunar calendar. Traditionally, the celebrations span over 15 days, when people enjoy time with family, set off loud fireworks as the Chinese believe that the loud noises that fireworks create scare off evil spirits, and eat hot pot for many consecutive days. 

Among all traditions, there is no doubt that our favorite part of Chinese New Year is the hong bao. A hong bao is a gift of money in a red packet given by those married to the younger generation as a symbol of luck, life, and happiness. When red packets are given out, it represents the spreading of good luck and fortune for the new year ahead so that it will be prosperous. “I spent time with my families that came to visit from different countries, and the best part was the food and the hong baos I received,” said Kate Lee (12). 

But this festivity is not only about the money: “What I look forward to the most during Chinese New Year is getting to see my cousins that I haven’t seen all year and catching up with them,” said Aidan Leong, 12. Time with family is the most significant focus of the celebration of the Lunar New Year. Every year, families return to their hometown to pay respects to their grandparents and reconnect with families they have not seen all year. 

This year, Chinese New Year felt a bit slow, even with all my family members coming back and spending most of the 4-day weekend with them. The thought that this would be my last year at home with them was a little sad as I looked back on all the years I have spent celebrating right here in Penang with them. Despite that, I look forward to the rest of the Chinese New Year and enjoying good food and time with my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment