Tuesday 8 February 2022

The Dorm’s Bizarre Adventure

By Tawan Teekaariyapak 

 

As January came to an end, all the students were blessed with 5 restful days off of school in celebration of Chinese New Year. The long-awaited break that everyone, especially the dorm students, were looking forward to since many dorm activities were planned for the break. 

The dorm council organized a range of activities and one or two took place almost every day of the break. On the first day, Ziemer dorm went down to Batu Ferringhi to get Chinese food from a restaurant called “Knife and Fork” in the spirit of Chinese New Year. To end the day off, we went to McDonald’s and got ourselves ice cream cones for dessert. 

We began the second day with an all-dorm church service held in the vintage chapel. Uncle Tony, Jackson’s new dorm dad, shared a sermon then Juyoung Kim (12), Caleb Jun (10), Sandy Choi (9), and Uncle Keith led worship. After the service, everyone went off in their own groups to practice for the upcoming talent show which I was a part of. All the guys in Ziemer dorm decided to dance to a Bollywood song which turned out to be humorous, meanwhile, others sang and danced. 

“During the Chinese New Year break, there were a lot of activities that dorm kids were able to do, but the one that stood out to me was the talent show because I was able to see my dorm siblings' talents, even if it was a silly talent,” commented Sandy Choi (9). 

On Monday, the third day of the holiday, the students were grateful because they got to sleep in. In the afternoon, we all went down to the beach for a bonfire, people were kayaking, arm-wrestling, and eating s’mores as the sun set. 

The media fast started at 8 AM on Tuesday and ended at 8 PM, people who participated in the media fast weren’t allowed to use electronic devices. If I had to choose one, I would say this day was my favorite one. There was a Master-Chef competition when some teams had to come up with creative food ideas while staying in the Korean theme. Lastly, the final activities we did as a dorm was capture the flag.  

I made many memories on my last Chinese New Year break. The one thing I am definitely going to miss a lot after I leave is the dorm. It will be 6 years by the end of my senior year that I have been in the dorm, and it will always be held close to my heart. 


No comments:

Post a Comment