Tuesday 17 September 2024

As The Tide Comes In, So Does Wave with The Win!

 By Liv Gohan

Eagle Games is the one day each year where students get together with their houses and compete against each other to prove once and for all that their house is the champion of champions! It is an incredible school-wide event that encourages friendly competition, good sportsmanship, and incredible teamwork.  

The day of the Games did not start off great. Just like the last two years, this year’s Eagle Games was opened with cold and brutal rain. Students were drenched and forced to take off their shoes and walk barefoot around campus to avoid marinating their feet in soaked socks and shoes, while the upper field that hosts an outdoor game transformed into a muddy slip and slide. However, towards the end of the day, the sun peeked out from behind the clouds, and the rest of the day was bright again. 

This year, the team that brought back the Eagle Games trophy was none other than the reigning champions: WAVE! The blue team that brought back its trophy from last year showed off their unique charms in their Spongebob-themed house chant: While everyone huddled together, one of the senior leaders, Ellie Park, serenaded the audience with the iconic clarinet solo from the Spongebob theme song. Caitlyn Chan, who has been in Wave since the beginning of her high school career, commented on the victory: “I have to say I’m very surprised but proud to be part of Wave to win in my senior year. The best thing that could happen is winning in freshman year and ending high school by also winning in senior year in Eagles Games.”  

This year’s Eagle Games was particularly special and nerve wracking for some of the seniors because they were chosen to lead, and it would be their first time leading a team of people in their house. Anxious up until the day of the Games, Vennie Wong says that “When I first found out [I] was leader, [I] was worried because I have never been in a spot to lead, and knowing my personality, leading would be very hard. Leading up to [the] Eagles Games, I felt nervous and was dreading it a lot.” 

However, she changed her mind when she got to have fun playing games with her team: “[W]hen it actually came, it was quite fun. Also, I had another leader with me, so it wasn’t as hard. I tried to encourage people because I felt like I wanted to be encouraged when I was an underclassmen in the past years of Eagle Games.” Eagle Games is a great opportunity for students from all grades to bond with each other through their competitive spirits.  

Eagle Games is an exciting event hosted each year that encourages team spirit and cooperation. It is a fun day full of games and competition that brings students from all over the grades together. Hopefully, next year’s Eagle Games will also bring the same joy and excitement as it did this year and this Dalat tradition will continue for many years to come.  

No comments:

Post a Comment