Thursday 9 May 2024

Such A Spectacular Evening!

By Alyssa Kwok

Cars drove up to the school entrance, waiting in the long queue, and when I finally came down from my car, I saw a beautiful sea of vibrant colors from all the outfits people were wearing: blue, black, red, green, and purple. Everyone happily chatted, complimenting each other and giving hugs all around. The crowds of parents, cameramen, and friends surrounded everyone with their phones and Canons, blinding me with flashy clicks of the cameras.

Although I’ve been to JSB three times in my years at Dalat, it always amazes me how JSB can put me in awe and yet make me feel shy and self-conscious. I felt excited about the entertainment, the delicious food, and, most importantly, spending quality time with my friends every year. However, I felt shy about how beautiful everyone was, and I felt out of place. Soon we were all pushed and called onto the front of the stairs for a Class of 2024 group photo. Seeing the picture of all of us together, I could not have been more proud to have been part of such a fantastic group of people, and it makes me tear up, realizing that I soon won’t be able to see them again, possibly ever.

Pushing that sad thought out of my head, I held my head high and smiled big, thrilled to see what else the night had in store for us. I was pleasantly surprised with all the carefully planned decorations where antique frames held all our pictures, golden fake feathers at every table, and counterfeit candles beaming brightly while moving to the wind and music, proud to be part of such an important event. Dinner was ready after Act 3 of the play: large meatballs, pasta, and pizza bread with spaghetti bolognese. Lights got dim again, and it was time to continue the play: mystery, murder, and comedy of slaps, roasts, and accents combined. In the mixture of laughing, gasping, and feeling proud of all the juniors had done, it was hard not to beam and shout, “THANK YOU, JUNIORS!” or “I know that junior!”

Interludes between the play were for tributes, and I cannot describe the feeling I felt when I saw people from my class being talked about and hearing all the touching things shared about them. Nothing can prepare you or make you feel prouder until it’s your JSB. When the evening ended and photos were taken, it was a bittersweet moment. The night I had waited for since I saw my first JSB had finally ended and taken its place, and I was unsure how I felt about it. So, instead, I went home, tired from all the excitement and interaction, got ready for bed, and lay in bed, thanking God for such a spectacular evening and putting me in a grand palace called Dalat that will always impact me today and forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment