Tuesday 29 September 2020

Sports Are Back!

 By Kalia Brewster

Before lockdown happened, sports were one of the most time-consuming, important, and enjoyable parts of my day. After school, I could hardly wait to leave the classroom and get out on the field or court — to play a game that I loved with people that I loved and coaches who invested deeply in me. Nothing has quite impacted my life in the way sports has. It is hard for me to describe how something that has been part of my life since I can remember has been so formative.  I know that many others feel the same way about sports and how it has shaped them.


Esther Tse (12) said about sports and how it impacted her life, “Sports has helped me not only work on my personal skills but also work on communication skills and the ability to understand each other’s strengths.” Sports has a profound and sometimes unseen effect on athletes. Not only the physical aspect of sports, but the emotional, mental, and relational challenges that it presents helps athletes become more well rounded people. 


Recently, however, I have had many conversations about how the lockdown took away sports opportunities and how this has shaped lives in a significant way. Having down time after school is unheard of by Dalat’s athletes. Even the absence of the little aspects of sports is felt. My personal favorite little sports experience was the cheer at the end of practice that the basketball and soccer teams would do. It helped unify the team even in the smallest gesture. Other Dalat students have told me of their own personal losses as well.


 Lydia Geiman (12) said, “I miss the family-like bond that sports teams created throughout the season.” She then quickly added, “I also miss getting my booty whooped during scrimmages.” For athletes, it isn’t about the wins or losses, but about the team building experience. 


To make adaptations to the new standard operating procedures for lockdown, sports was at first not allowed. In recent weeks, however, they have allowed for intramurals, which have been an amazing breath of fresh air for students longing for some fun, physical activity. It allows people from all experience levels to join a team to play scrimmages once or twice a week.


Because of COVID-19, being intentional about building community has become increasingly important. Dalat’s intramurals season is one step towards the light at the end of the tunnel of COVID-19, and I hope to see people intentionally participating in community sports and activities to help us break through the loss and realize what we have to be grateful for. A reset is just what we needed to refocus our minds and hearts on all of the blessings we enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment