Tuesday 10 March 2020

Let’s All Pause For A Bit


By Rebekah Lee
Pause, Refresh, and Play. The three banners hung high up in the Harbor Hall as the Dalat high school students were chattering amongst themselves, preparing for 2020’s Mission Emphasis Week (MEW). MEW week is a time where the whole Dalat community can learn how God calls us to serve Him by serving others. For three days, elementary, middle, and high schoolers go to the Harbor Hall to worship and listen to the words of God. Later, students, teachers, staff, and parents are also welcome to come to the night sessions.

For most, MEW is an exciting and relaxing week. Students are not given homework to encourage them to take a break from academics and attend the MEW sessions with no stress. MEW gives me a chance to breathe and lets me pause from my busy school life. I’m always rushing to finish my homework, submitting my assignments, and studying for tests. Thanks to MEW, I’m able to lay everything down and focus on my relationship with God. 

Sadly, for the class of 2020, this MEW was the last emphasis week that we experienced. Sheryl Ang (12) said, “As always, I appreciated the time and opportunity that was given to us to get closer to God and to release our pent up problems. With this MEW being my last one, I was more aware of what was going on, and I tried to be present in every moment of it.”

It will be rare for us to experience and participate in an event like this after we graduate. Sheryl is right about appreciating our given opportunities. Especially since this is our last year together, we should learn how to appreciate the things around us. Let’s appreciate the fact that we live on an island and can have lunch every day by the beach. We should also appreciate that we have the privilege to go to a Christian school and meet amazing teachers and staff. Most importantly, appreciate all the relationships we made in this class of 2020.

My goal for the remaining time I have at Dalat is to be intentional. To be intentional with every conversation I have because soon we will all have to say our goodbyes. Knowing that this is my last year in Dalat is scary and sad, but I hope to make even the slightest impact on someone’s life before I graduate. Although there will be a lot of “lasts,” it only opens up the doors of new beginnings. I encourage my fellow classmates of 2020 to do their best in being intentional with all the last’s we encounter. Let’s finish strong together!

No comments:

Post a Comment