Monday 29 April 2019

War of Color


Xu An Lim

On April 26th, the eighth graders and all of the high school were engaged in StuCo’s Color War, which lasted for 2 hours and 30 minutes.

At 6:30p the eighth graders and the high schoolers met on the outdoor basketball court. The war was a version of Capture the Flag, Freeze Tag, and darts: the teams had to throw stockings full of colored powder onto the other team’s target, which was the replacement of a flag, or at an opposing team member in order to tag them out, freezing them where they were hit. To get untagged, someone from your own team had to tap you and bring you back to your team’s base camp. After twenty minutes, whichever team received the most points on the target won the game.

The teams of the first round were a combination of the eighth and tenth graders, who used yellow powder, versus the ninth and twelfth graders, who used green. The first round was already underway when I arrived because I was taking my AP Bio mock exam. When I arrived, I untagged a member of my team and was told the rules of the game, as well as how to win. I also got pelted by color from my own teammates because they wanted me to look like I’ve been there for a long time. Miss Grad who was on neither team also pelted me with color.

When the round was over, Miss Grad informed us that the winners were the ninth and twelfth graders, and that there were free drinks and snacks for us to enjoy. She also announced that the eighth graders would be playing against all of the high school students for the second round. After making those announcements, the participants went to get food and drinks. It was during this time that I asked some people about how the Color War was so far. Jaqueline Leech (12) said, “it was a lot of fun and a lot of color.” 

When the break was over, the teams went to their respective sides and round two began. In the second round, the high schoolers used red, and the eighth graders used green; the new rule stated that nobody was allowed to stand very close to the centerline, puppy guarding. I ran to get color on the enemy target but got tagged. After a while, I got untagged and changed my strategy to tagging anyone who crossed the line. I managed to tag some people before the round ended. The winner was announced as the high schoolers, and with that, the Color War came to an end.

After the war, I walked straight home with all of the fun memories and a colorful—once white—shirt. I had a lot fun, and I was glad that I chose to go to the Color War.

No comments:

Post a Comment