Tuesday 6 November 2018

Freaky Friday Fun

Trevor Ronning
 It was Friday night and the final preparations for Freaky Friday were falling into place. The anticipation was swirling in our hearts as seniors got ready to put on the event for the middle schoolers. We provided four stations: a dinner station, a flour bomb capture the flag station, a treasure hunt station, and my station—dodgeball. When it finally started, all I had on my mind was, “I hope the middle schoolers have fun.”

 I had whistles and dodgeballs, and I was prepared to ref the games; but when Mrs. Steinkamp saw me standing on the side officiating, she told me, “You should get in there.” So, I joined in the festivities. In the end, I may have enjoyed it even more than they did. Ashlynn Ruble (12), who was leading dodgeball with me, said, “I really enjoyed helping with dodgeball because it gave me the chance to interact with the middle schoolers and have fun with them.”

One particular group I remember better than the others was because Jeremy and Min Guk were the leaders. After warming up from playing with two groups, I was more than ready to take them on. I ended up on the opposing side from my fellow seniors and started picking them apart, one ball at a time. I was about to throw the kill shot on Jeremy when a stealthy middle schooler appeared out of nowhere and hit me square in the foot. The disappointment I felt in that moment was crushing.

After all the groups had come through, the middle schoolers gathered in the outdoor court for a variation of rock-paper-scissors called bear-man-gun. Mr. Steinkamp, along with Nick Khor (12), explained the rules of the game which happen to be in the form of a song: “The bear beats the man. The man beats the gun. The gun beats the bear. You tie, you die.” And then you proceed to turn around and use the action corresponding to either bear, man, or gun. The game happened tournament style, meaning winners progressed to the next round. I had high hopes for my chances but only made it two rounds in! In the end, I believe that Freaky Friday was a huge success and that the middle schoolers that came had loads of fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment