Monday 5 September 2016

Writer's Block

Inha Kim

Alrighty then, let's see… Why hello there, an email from Miss Grad? Reminder for Senior Scribble? Shoot! I forgot about it completely! Better write something real quick… Mm hmm… Uh… What… do I write about?

How about I take a look at what other people wrote about? Yeah, let's do that. But how do I get there, though? She (Miss Grad) showed us before, but I completely forgot where. Ah, I'll just google it. S.E.N.I.O.R. S.C.R.I.B.B.L.E… And… There it is! Okay, let's look through… School stuff… School stuff… More school stuff… School sports stuff… Am I allowed to write about anything else? Ah, whatever. I'll just write some made up crap about how the school’s art class changed my spirituality and stuff. Teachers here really seem to like reading about things like that. Cool. Opening up Google Drive…“WHAT!” Oh, we're having dinner soon. “WHAT ARE WE HAVING!?” Beef stuff? What the heck is that supposed to be? Well it's meat, so it can't be that bad. “I’LL BE THERE IN A SEC!”

An undisclosed amount of time later…

Right! Back from dinner, brushed my teeth, took a shower… Time to write an article… What was I writing about? Oh yeah, art and stuff. I write this and I walk away with an easy A. He heh… Yeah…… Doesn't really feel that great though. I mean, what am I thinking? It doesn't show anything about my character, personality, or wit. It's just gonna be another bland, “safe” piece that's gonna give me a grade but ultimately be forgotten. I don't wanna do that anymore. But… What will happen if I write anything else? No one I know ever did anything “out of the box” and got a passing grade… I wanna be original but I also need to go to college! You know what? Who cares? I'll just do something original. I’ll be like Jules Winnfield in Pulp Fiction. Yeah! Alright! I'm all pumped up now! Let's do this!

An undisclosed amount of time later (yet again)...


…… Um… Okay… No, that's not right… That's not right either…What do I write about? All that hype about being original, and I can't even deliver one sentence. Some brilliant writer I turned out to be. Guess I should've just written about the art thing then, huh? NO! That is a coward’s way out! I am an artist! I am original! I am… Not getting any sleep cause it’s already 6 in the morning.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inha, writer's block is definitely something that people deal with. It definitely would have been something I could have written about in high school, but I'm afraid it wouldn't have been nearly as engaging as this. Good job connecting with your audience and thanks for making it entertaining! -Steve Balzer

    ReplyDelete