Tuesday 25 April 2023

ACSC - TRACK AND FIELD

By Taewoo Song

On Tuesday, April 18th, the Track & Field team of Dalat School, comprising 18 boys, 18 girls, and 3 coaches, left Penang to participate in the ACSC (Asian Christian School Conference) in Taiwan. The Dalat team managed to secure the third position overall thanks to their dedication to the sport and long hours of practice.

The ACSC conference is held every year and highlights the skills of the most talented track and field athletes from four different schools. The event took place at Morrison Academy Taichung, where athletes participated in various competitions such as running, jumping, and throwing. To get a better understanding of the experience the students had during the trip, I interviewed a Freshman girl named Soo Song, who went to Taiwan representing Dalat.

Interview with Soo Song (9):

TS: How was the Taiwan trip?

SS: It was a new experience… I had lots of fun meeting new people and bonding more with my Dalat friends who went on the trip with me. I would definitely go again if I get the chance.

TS: What was the highlight of your trip?

SS: My highlight was when Ms. Keas mistook the hair salon for a hotel. The way she sat down in embarrassment on the floor, covering her face with her hands, was priceless. I thought she really wanted to cut her hair as she kept trying to open the door to the hair salon even though it was very late at night… It was very funny, and we all had a good laugh. 

TS: What was the most impressive thing you saw during the tournament?

SS: Elyza, who is in 8th grade, won 1st in 5k and 3k and 2nd in 800 meters and 1.5K. I know she is good at running so I wasn’t surprised by all the medals she achieved. Instead, I am happy for her.

TS: Do you have any regrets or things you want to improve on?

SS: I have no regrets. However, I want to improve my pacing when I run.

TS: Any final thoughts? 

SS: I want to recommend people to try out track even if they think they are bad at it. If we train harder, we can get first place next time. I am sure of it.

The ACSC proved to be a huge success, highlighting Dalat's athletes' remarkable skills and commitment. With intense competition, the athletes stepped up and delivered impressive performances, setting new records while also having fun with new and old friends. This event exemplified the unifying force of sports, inspiring individuals to strive toward their fullest potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment