Tuesday 5 April 2022

Perspective Matters

 By Gabriel Kontsas

This spring break, both at a theme park and my basketball hoop, I realized how I experienced different emotions than my friends and family because of my perspective.

I see the world with my eyes and you with yours; this is how we create our perspectives. We can experience differing emotions at the same events, as one person might be having the time of their life. On the contrary, another person could be experiencing polar opposite emotions.

Over three weeks ago, I tore one of my main ankle ligaments, meaning that I have not been able to do any sports or other everyday activities. This injury is primarily a struggle when hanging around boys, as physical activities often revolve around these hangouts. For example, Taylor Johnson from grade 12, when asked for one of his highlights of the break, answered, "Playing basketball at Gabe's house" as one of them. However, I, who usually would've answered the same, felt relatively polar emotions as I was saddened that I couldn't be a part of what my friends were doing because of my injury. Neither of us was wrong in what we were feeling, but I was incapable of experiencing the same emotions about that activity as he did because of my pre-existing problem. 

At another time during my break, my family and I went to the Genting Highlands' new theme park, which was quite impressive. I've been to multiple theme parks before in my life, and often I have one consistent problem: I get nauseous, and I have a healthy respect for heights. So, when my family and I went on a ride that spins in a circular motion while flipping you upside down high up in the air, I was bound not to enjoy it. Luckily, I didn't feel highly nauseous after the ride, but I was praying to dear God for the ride to stop during the whole duration. On the other hand, both of my siblings loved it, and it was one of the day's highlights. 

The sooner we understand that everyone around us has their personal feelings and emotions that cause them to give them their perspectives, the sooner we can reduce conflict and increase overall understanding and happiness. I am still injured and scared of heights, but my friends and family know that, so they understand if certain things don't bring me joy or if I don't portray the same enthusiasm as they do.  


No comments:

Post a Comment