Tuesday 10 April 2018

He is With Us

Daniel Go

“I guess it was alright? But to be honest we've already heard most of the stuff that she told us,” said Jerald Ooi (12) when asked about the recent MEW.

Honestly, I was never a big fan of MEW and SEW at Dalat. The only thing I liked about these emphasis weeks was that I didn’t have to worry about homework or tests. I have never been to a single evening session before, and I have never regretted not going. As I walked down to the chapel, I could already tell that this MEW was going to be the same as usual. I thought the main speaker would be a missionary from some third world country.

It was different this time, though, as there was a team of around ten people from the U.S.

On the first day, the main speaker (Jill) talked about receiving God’s love. She told us a story of Gideon in the Bible where God called him a mighty warrior and told him that He was with him. The main speaker also told us a story about how she experienced God’s presence through her hard times; her passion towards letting us know that God loves us and cares for us came through to me in a strong manner.         
           
After the morning session, I decided to come to the evening session for the first time. During the evening session, she talked about how we cannot define ourselves by our circumstances or behaviors, and also how each of us is favored by God through his unconditional love. After a short sermon, her son also gave a testimony on how he personally met Jesus and sang a song he wrote. I really liked the line where he said, “When God smiles over, all my fears are gone.”

I felt like this MEW was totally different from the old ones because the main speaker focused more on building a relationship with God; this week was like a mix of both MEW and SEW, as students who went on Impact trips shared their mission work and experiences as well.

Though I didn’t get to come to every evening session, it was a great time learning more about God and experiencing His presence. As a senior who is graduating in two months, I would like to say that these emphasis weeks are not a waste of time, but instead are challenging and eye-opening opportunities.


No comments:

Post a Comment