Monday 23 October 2017

October “Holy Days”

Zachary Kok

‘What should I do during the fall break?’ This was the question all Dalat students were thinking when the final bell rang on Friday, October 13 before the long-anticipated fall break. Some students were clueless as to what they would do, while others had plans arranged since the beginning of the school year.

Fall break is a one-week holiday where classes are put on hold and all activities cease. The break is meant for students, as well as staff members, to relax and enjoy a week without the worry of schoolwork.

The most popular activity students planned is travelling. Most students have families who are living overseas, so this one-week holiday is the perfect opportunity to be reunited with their loved ones.

Rainbow Chan (12) said, “I went to China to visit my parents. They are missionaries and I went there to spend some time. I also helped babysit some kids.”

Alicia Chin (11) commented, “I went to Canada to visit my brother, Anson (Class of 2017). Even though it’s only been two months of him being away, my whole family misses him a lot.”

Others travelled so that they can plan for the near future. Sophia Ong (12) mentioned, “I went to Melbourne, Australia. I am planning to attend a university there and so I visited the place to check out the colleges.”

And others travelled for sport events. Daniel Kim (12) said, “I went to Manila for a volleyball tournament. I slept in a guesthouse with my team, so I had to share a bed with Simon Jeong (12). At the end of the week, I realized that fighting for the blanket and trying to not get hugged like a pillow was more challenging than competing in the tournament itself.”

As fun as overseas travelling might be, some students find joy in travel that does not require an aeroplane. Rosie Shin (12) said, “My favourite part of the break is travelling to KL in a car. I shopped and ate lots of Korean food. I also had the privilege to tour around the Pavilion Mall.”

To the rest of the students who had no plans made prior, home is truly where the heart is. As Yusoof Monavwil (11) said, “Fall break is the perfect time to stay at home and relax. I enjoyed the time off from school, and I managed to catch up with sleep.”

No matter how each student spent fall break, there is one thing that is for sure: one week of break is not long enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment