Monday 23 October 2017

Future - Blood, Sweat, Tears (ft. commonapp.org)

Chan Woong Won

Don’t ask the seniors where they are applying for university. Don’t ask them what work they want to do in the future, either. Most likely, they won’t know the answer to either question; I don’t, at least.

The good years of high school have passed, and now the forty-seven members of Dalat’s Class of 2018 are furiously squeezing their brains to polish their college applications--or so hopes Mr. Dobson.

In starting their application process, the seniors are queried on their career of interest and the highest degree they intend to earn; it is a mandatory section, and the choice “undecided” is at the bottom of a long list.

For many in high school, “what do you want to do in college?” is an unexpected question. Freshmen, like Sumin Lim (9), who have all the time and leisure in the world, can easily say, “no idea fam.”

Sophomores think similarly;  Joseph Chandra (10) comments on the same query, “I don’t know, but I don’t care.”

Clearly, this lack of seriousness is carried onto the junior year, for Amanda Low (11) answers without much hesitation, “go party!”

On the other hand, there are others who have it figured out. When asked about his passion, Daniel Go (12), who owns $4,000 worth of bitcoin,  identified it as “cryptocurrency” and zealously continued, calling it the “beginning of a new era.”

 Likewise, Maverick Kirby (12), an ex-Dalat student who recently started his own clothing line hER, called it a “joy” to “see people rep out the gang” and to “be able to deliver his unique personality to the world.”

If I could choose, I would be the latter; but unfortunately, I am the former. As a result, I am paying the price for it. I spend my time worrying, what if I don’t like what I choose to study? What if I never find the job I want?

Nevertheless, it is comforting to know that Dalat sends out this message: that there is a purpose for everyone, a unique future designed and destined by the ultimate tailor. Maybe we shouldn’t worry too much; after all, we don’t have a choice--it’s just part of the once-in-a-lifetime senior experience.

As Peter Kim (12) puts it, “...[the whole process of college applications] is in one way suffocating but necessary - it's just a part of life that we have to go through and realize that it's the truth.”

So I take this opportunity to wish the Class of 2018 good luck. Good luck with juggling school work, grades, activities, college essays, sports, social life, and just about everything else you do, and most importantly, good luck with discovering your passion. We are all in this together. Juniors, you are next.

No comments:

Post a Comment