Wednesday 23 March 2016

Shoe Game Strong

Zach Tan

What defines a teenage boy today? Does his physique define his place? Does his hairstyle make him more attractive? Or is it the people whom he hangs out with? Although these options may be true, a majority of teenagers today are defined by what they wear on their feet. Shoes are no longer just shoes. Sneakers describe the hobbies one partakes in or the group he belongs to. Whether he chooses to wear a pair of high cut Jordans or dons gum-sole Vans, a teenage boy can tell you in great detail the significance of his shoe. Popular teenage culture has been overtaken by a growing amount of “sneaker freaks” in the past decade. Shoe companies such as Nike, Adidas, Jordan, and Asics have competed for control over this prime industry. Every year, new sneakers appear in fresh colorways and textures, making it an exciting investment to partake in. Dalat students, especially seniors, have been playing in this “shoe game” for a very long time. I interviewed three senior sneaker freaks, being Shawn Lim, Robert Kilgo and Titus Hwang, to get a better understanding of this prominent shoe culture.

1.     What shoe have you brought today and when did you buy it?

Shawn: Kobe X Elite Commander. I purchased it last Christmas break when I was in Japan.
Robert: I bought my pair of Vans Sk8 from a friend.
Titus: Tubular Runner. I bought it four weeks ago from Gurney.

2. I can see you have picked this as your favorite pair. What significance does this shoe have for you (any memories, moments, or significant details)?

Shawn: It was very exciting for me to get my first pair of Kobe’s. Basketball has been my life for the past four years, so I love wearing basketball shoes. Besides, this shoe goes well with my jersey.
Robert:  I've had this retro shoe for more than five years, and it still fits perfectly. This is my favorite pair because it reminds me of my roots, and how I have always wanted to be good at skating. I have spent countless hours skating with this pair on, so they have a special place in my heart.
Titus: It looked really good and had a cool design because of its
tubular shaped sole. I also needed comfortable shoes.

3. What are you favorite things about your shoe?

Shawn: I love the colorway as it makes me feel attractive. It’s incredibly comfortable to wear, and it protects my ankle from spraining easily.
Robert: The rubber familiarity. I love the distinct feeling I get when I pick them up. It's hard to explain, but it is like aged wine. It only gets better over time (if you take good care of them).
Titus:
Shoes are important for guys to style up, and I think it is important to look good and take care of myself. Shoes are so important!!

4. Why do you think shoes/sneakers are so important to so many boys in our grade, and so many teens in the world?

Shawn: I think it’s because many celebrities have extremely nice shoes, and they look really good wearing them. It’s one way to feel similar to the celebrities while looking good.
Robert: A lot of guys buy sneakers because it’s what everyone is into at the moment (I'm guilty of this sometimes). However, I usually buy sneakers because it gives me a sense of originality. Having a pair of shoes that no one else has in your school/community is really sweet. I have a Winnie the Pooh pair of Vans that reminds me to stay young at heart always.
Titus: Buying sneakers and shoes makes them feel happy and satisfied. It’s a very nice feeling when you get the shoes that you want and you are able to wear it to show your friends.

5. How does having nice sneakers affect you as a person?

Shawn: By having a strong shoe game, it makes me feel confident; plus, I just love collecting shoes.
Robert: It definitely makes me more confident. If you can get people to look at your shoes admiringly, then you've done it right (shout out to Mary-Claire (12) and her sandals).
Titus: I can walk better and feel better because I am confident about myself.

6. What shoe are you planning to buy next and why?

Shawn: The next shoes I plan to get are the Jordan Futures. I saw them on a basketball player and it looked really good.
Robert: Probably Vans Old Skool in a Champagne colorway. I love Jordans and Adidas, but it's too overhyped right now. I'll stick with the King of Southern California.
Titus:
I am planning to collect all the Jordans in the world and many more Adidas shoes, and possibly a new pair of Vans.


Again, shoes are no longer just shoes in today’s teen culture. It brings confidence, happiness, and satisfaction to its owner. It is a prominent new trend catching on among many teenagers around the world, each displaying a unique taste of style and preference. What is next for the sneaker generation? Only time and creativity can tell.






No comments:

Post a Comment