Wednesday 10 February 2016

Are You Permitted?

Gloria Kim

Early Saturday morning, students dragged their weary legs off their beds with half-closed eyes to get ready for a special day. With a tinge of nervousness and excitement, they set off for a long ride to the south end of the island to a place where every car moved at a speed of 10km/h: the JPJ driving center.
            Those who came to the JPJ center had already passed the first few obstacles in achieving a driver’s license. The very first thing that one must do to start the process is to select a driving school. Once enrolled at a school, the notoriously boring three-hour lecture on the basics of driving must be attended. Then a book to study for the theory test must be purchased. Only after passing this test, is one able to learn how to drive at the JPJ center.
            This was the process that many Dalat students have gone through to achieve their license. A few students took the initiative to acquire it in junior year; and by senior year, the majority of them had earned the “P” license, or the permit to drive in Malaysia. This year, 28 seniors drove themselves around.
            “I got my driver’s license because I wanted to have the freedom to travel where I wanted and also for the convenience of commuting from home to school. It greatly benefitted me because I am able to do what I need to do without disrupting my parents’ schedule. Being able to go out for lunch with my friends is also an incredible privilege,” said Noel Teng (12), one of the first few seniors who earned the “P.”
            The very first senior to have been “permitted” was Cheryl Yeap (12), who probably have fetched students around the most. Some seniors earned their license later in the year just to follow the trend.
            “Peer pressure was the biggest factor that motivated me to get my driver’s license. Otherwise, I would have gotten it after graduating from university,” said Ysabel Loh (12).
            Whether it was from peer pressure or for convenience, the students were each motivated to take up the challenge of earning a driver’s license in their high school year. From waking up early on a Saturday morning to obeying the traffic rules, they became more independent and responsible individuals.


No comments:

Post a Comment