Monday 15 April 2024

If the Basketball Court Could Speak

By Noella Seevaratnam

“It’s the end of an era, but I'm excited for what lies ahead,” said Alexia Nyul (12).

Thursday, April 5th, 2024, was Varsity Girls Soccer Senior Night. For many seniors in sports, senior night and ACSC is their last time playing on a team. It marks the end of their 4-day-a-week practices, the end of developing their craft alongside their teammates, and the end of being an Eagle. Sick on the sidelines during my senior game, I watched my team face a combination of Dalat staff, spouses, and boys for their last home game. I took in the beauty of our community, appreciating those who came to play on the opposing team and those on the picnic blankets, and reflected on my years at Dalat.

The outdoor court, gym, and upper field have watched me grow in interest and skill over the course of the last 15 years. They’ve seen me kick my first soccer ball in pre-school, shoot my first hoop in kindergarten, and continuously attempt and fail at racket sports. They’ve seen me do field days in track and run around the court playing dodgeball with fellow staff kids. They’ve seen me fall in love with being on a team, deal with pressures, face losses, and learn how to become more disciplined. They’ve probably seen tears, but I know they've seen a lot of laughter, and soon they will see a lot of “goodbyes.” The outdoor court is where seniors will grieve and hug and send each other off with tear-stained wishes, just like it was a place where many of us found our first friends during recess.

If places could say words, I bet these spots would speak thousands. Mocking students for their overcompetitive spirits, encouraging the underdog who thinks they aren’t good enough, but most importantly, relishing the community that gathers around them, and sharing memories about those who have left. If these places had arms, I bet they’d dominate at dodgeball and prevent soccer balls from leaving the field and entering the upper-field jungle. I also bet they would have flicked us off the court during those Friday nights in middle school, begging us to go home and stop playing basketball at 9 pm. They would have intervened with our elementary four-square, silencing our king of their corrupt rules. They would also unwillingly pick up the trash that has consistently been left behind on the bleachers by our lunch-ballers. Most importantly they would join the group hugs on our final night, feeling a similar and sorrowful loss. 

To these places, to my coaches, and to this community, I personally thank you and will miss you dearly. 

“There’s no community like Dalat; every student is a blessing. May you never let go of your child-like wonder and never give up on your dreams” (court, gym, upper field).

No comments:

Post a Comment