Tuesday 21 November 2023

Sugar Rush

By Packia Alagu Nagarajan

The Senior class of 2024 invites all elementary school students to bond over freezies and a fun game of duck-duck-goose. As a senior, I remember in my elementary days, I used to be intimidated by the seniors. I would genuinely think they were going to bully me and be mean to me on purpose, so, as the five-year-old that I was, I used to avoid them at all costs. However, as a senior, I realize what the elementary students think when we walk past them. Most of them look up to us, wonder what it’s like to be the oldest in the school, and wish to grow up just like us.  

The senior class planned this event as an opportunity to let the elementary students know that we’re really not that scary. In fact, this is the first step taken to bond with them over a freezie and some games they enjoy playing. We decided it would work best to split the elementary school grade-wise to be more organized. During their morning recess, a group of seniors volunteered to cut up freezies, engage in meaningful conversations, and play fun games with the kids. I was thrilled that their recess was during my study hall and online class block, so I got to participate and engage with all the elementary students.  

They were mostly shy, but once they slurped away at all the freezie juice, they were in the mood to chat and play games with us. Popi Grous (12), who played games with the kids said, “It was gratifying playing with the kids and seeing them have fun.” It was such a fun way to start the morning for both the seniors and the elementary students. 

However, the only people who were concerned about the aftermath were the teachers of the students who had an incredible amount of sugar so early in the morning. Luckily, the games drained most of their sugar rush. We also had a few of the seniors documenting these precious memories. 

Aileen Kim (12), a Journ student said, “It was a healing process to take photos of elementary children as I don’t get the chance to do it frequently. I felt glad to be able to serve the children in a different way.”  

Bonding with the elementary students made me realize one thing. Like these kids, our parents still view us as their precious children. My mum always told me that whenever she saw me now, she could only see the three-year-old me wearing two ponytails on either side with a big smile on my face. As I move on to the next phase of my life, going to college and living independently, I know that my parents are incredibly proud of the young adult I’ve become, and they’ve played a crucial role in who I am today. So, to all the parents reading this, we appreciate your efforts and everything you’ve done for us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment