Tuesday 17 October 2023

Exploring a New Culture

By Julia Jang

October 6th, 2023. It was a tranquil night, and our Bandung Impact team gathered at Dalat Upper Field while carrying suitcases so we could head to the airport together. 

Impact trips are back! This year, they offered several service trip locations: Indonesia (West Java), Johor Bahru, and Perak. I once participated in a Johor Bahru Impact trip during my junior year and enjoyed each moment to the full degree. Therefore, I challenged myself to explore the different cultures and dig deeper into the dynamics of the people around the world. What I like most about the Impact trip is that you’ll learn much about humanity and how it varies worldwide by placing my perspective into others’. One of the main reasons I decided to go to Bandung is because of my sister, a Dalat alumni. She also went on a Bandung Impact trip constantly told me how much the trip was worth. She mentioned the friendliness and peacefulness of Bandung and how she was able to respect people regarding their shared values. I was amazed by how a single trip could drastically change an individual’s perspective on cultural differences, which motivated me to apply for the trip. 

On the first day, our team went for a prayer walk around the neighborhood for about an hour. Even though it was my first time, the prayer allowed my day to start refreshingly and created a space for prayer and reflection. I felt that my prayers extended beyond my concerns and focused directly on the needs of others, opening myself to see them with God’s eyes and heart. The next day, neighborhood kids came to Green Gate (the community center where we stayed during the trip) to play futsal together. They play futsal every Sunday with a coach, and we were suggested to participate in the games. We cheered each other on and shared our stories, mainly talking about K-pop idols. Through that, I learned happiness can come from many trivial things regardless of the background. 

Heeeun Bang (12), one of the Bandung Impact trip members, said, “Impact trip was much more than I expected. I learned how not to judge or pity someone but to respect and embrace their lives just as they are, for being different does not mean being right or wrong. I managed to break out of my comfort zone, openly approach the local people despite the language barrier, and express gratitude for what I have, which I would have never done if I had just casually stayed at my house.” 

This Impact trip has impacted how I view the world, the people around me, and myself. I saw and experienced the qualities of FLOSS (Flexibility, Learner, Observant, Sacrificial, and Servant) during the trip, like how my sister learned the values of the Bandung people. After the trip, I started to appreciate everything I possess and the environment my parents have provided for me. We are living in a beautiful world!

No comments:

Post a Comment