Wednesday 31 May 2023

I’m Gonna Miss This Place

By Ray Lee

Fearful yet excited, anxious yet hopeful, wistful yet pumped; the myriad of emotions fill my head as that final day draws near. 

I am the last Senior Scribbler of the class of 2023. I can’t believe that Dalat is almost over for us. These will be the last few memories I make in this wonderful community. To commemorate my time here, I’ll be going on a narrated trip around campus and reliving a few memories defining the past 6 years of my life. 

Firstly, we have the middle school building. Its design feels so old yet so timeless. There was something unique about the building I never witnessed in my previous schools. After all, who could forget that world-renowned slide you either loved sliding through or considered a hassle? I remember being excited at everything I saw when I first came to Dalat, and this building I spent the next few years in was definitely the most thrilling to me. Having all these new unique classes and awesome teachers, what’s not to love? 

Next, there’s the building that finished construction when I first arrived in Dalat, the CASTLE, which I have only now found out is an acronym for the “Center for the Arts, Sciences, Technology, and Learning Education.” I think most students will say that the best part of the CASTLE is the library, where all ES and MS kids go after school and hop onto the computers for their usual games. Nitro Type, Poptropica, Animal Jam, and more! Though there have been attempts to prohibit gaming here, we all know that kids will find and already have found loopholes to do anything on there that isn’t homework.

And finally, we have, in my opinion, Dalat’s greatest building: the Harbor. This place has been my academic home for the past 4 years and is a work of architectural art. That grand staircase, the iconic floor compass, the unique and distinct shape, and the massive Harbor Hall, there are so many things to love about Harbor. And the memories I made during high school are truly the ones that will stick with me for the rest of my life. All the big events, like CB, JSB, the drama performances, and eventually graduation. From the beginning to the end of my time in Dalat, all these fun moments and the close friendships I've made will stick with me forever. 

“It felt like a fever dream.” said Hazel Chan, a fellow senior that’s been around since 4th grade, and I have to agree with that. Now that everything’s coming to a close, I wish I had more time here. I’ll be leaving my friends, my family, this land I’ve called my home all my life, as most Malaysian students will, and venture on to other countries across the globe! And I know, even after decades have passed since my graduation at Dalat International School, I’m gonna miss this place. Goodbye, Dalat. Thank you for the memories.


No comments:

Post a Comment