Tuesday 16 August 2022

A Trophy Carries Dust, Memories Last Forever

 By Grace Neeley

“Oh no! We have to run again!” Sam Owens (11) said in response to sports starting up again. It has resulted in cheerful, enthusiastic attitudes all around. People were excited for weeks building up to it. Sports were a huge part of Dalat life before Covid and them finally happening has made it feel more normal. 

Noella Seevaratnam (11) said, “Sports being back excites me a lot because it makes Dalat feel like home again. Covid took away so much from us so it was hard going to school and having everything that was once free be restricted. Sports being back means that things are basically back to how it used to be, and it feels slightly even better since I’m more grateful. I love being a part of a team and being able to grow in my soccer ability. I’m super excited for this year!” Dalat with sports is more hectic and chaotic, but it feels like home. 

On the other hand, even those less involved with sports for various reasons are excited they are back. Maddy Abdulla (10) said, “I’m really excited for sports to be back; I can’t play because of my knees, but I’m super excited to watch all the games and cheer people on.” Even not playing or being in a team, students get involved in the sports. We’ll have the juniors advertising and selling from their store and an array of students and parents cheering from the sidelines. 

The atmosphere is completely different with the freedom and hope that sports give students. New kids from the past couple of years are experiencing a different side to Dalat; they are seeing a glimpse of what it was like before the virus. 

The fun and community that builds through sports is one of the most important things. Everyone comes together to cheer or play together, and they learn to work better as a team and the best way to make their voices and cheers heard from the crowd. Even teachers and parents get more involved with the fun. The teachers get to build relationships with the students through coaching or being involved in different activities. 

I personally have never been at Dalat when we’ve had this extent of freedom, and I love seeing the changes that are already happening. I can’t wait to meet new people and be able to show God’s love through sportsmanship and good attitudes on the court.


No comments:

Post a Comment