Tuesday 17 May 2022

The Love for Good Food

By Dylan Chew 

As the smell of tea and the chattering of friends filled the cozy, coffee house, I rolled my dice and moved my token forward on the knock-off version of the Monopoly board. “Yeah, I’ll join for dinner,” 

As a last-minute plan, I joined for bowling with a group of friends. We were all very excited and dressed up for warmth as it gets cold in Penang Bowl. We arrived at 5pm, but to our first of many disappointments, it was packed and we couldn’t get any lanes for bowling. 

However, we did not give up on our plan to hang out, so we decided to go to Nook, a suggestion by Yong-Yu Huang (12), a bookstore/coffee shop. We flocked around a long table and spent our time playing card and board games. I decided to join in for the fake French Monopoly, at which I did not win. 

As the clock ticked to 19:00, we headed towards a town favorite dining place, Holy Guacamole. People in the car, Josh Peek, Niko Bernhardt, Ryan Chan, Yong-Yu, Lana Brewster, and Chris Ooi (12), all were starving and craving for some good Mexican food. 

“I was not invited,“ Gabe Kontsas recently commented. 

But again we were to be disappointed since it was fully booked for the evening. In our last attempt to save the night, we lifted our heads high and crossed over the street in order to find a place that could take us in. We passed by a bougie Italian-looking restaurant and it caught our attention. I walked in and had my doubts in the food quality since they had disco balls and cat pictures all over the place but I was proven wrong. The first taste of pumpkin soup and we were in. It brought us delicious pizza and a very solid roast chicken. 

In an attempt to describe the beef pepperoni pizza, Josh said, “‘The Tavern’ is what the ‘Don Corleone Pizza’ should be.” 

In the end, “The Tavern” saved our night and brought a fulfilling ending to our day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment