Tuesday 25 January 2022

The Beginning of the End

 

By Ryan Chan

January has arrived, and it’s the beginning of the second semester of the 2021-22 school year in Dalat International school, but for some, it feels like it's almost the end.

Though recent announcements of the return of intramurals and extracurriculars will return after the CNY break have been made, there are still feelings of fear and frustration amongst the senior class. The senior class of 2022 went into lockdown more than halfway through their sophomore year and spent the majority of the remainder of high school online. A countless number of events and opportunities like sports, Junior Class activities, CBs and JSBs, and other activities were canceled. In addition, thanks to the emergence of the Omicron variant, there are still fears that another lockdown could prevent a Senior Sneak. Feelings of sorrow, regret, and fear are natural in these circumstances, and many seniors feel that too much time has been lost and that there isn’t enough time left as this chapter of their lives draws to a close. Jason Kim (12), has shared his sentiments: “Though I’m happy things are going back to normal, I still feel disappointed that I didn’t have a lot of things that me and my class normally would have experienced if it wasn’t for the pandemic.”

Alas, despite these laments, I want to encourage those who share these sentiments to embrace the power of gratefulness and moving forward. I’ve included some verses that I feel really touches on these two encouragements and that have helped me as well.

For those that struggle with the past and lament on what could’ve been: “Forget what happened in the past, and do not dwell on events from long ago” (Isaiah 43:18) and "Let your eyes look straight ahead; fix your gaze directly before you." (Proverbs 4:25).

For those who fear what the future has in store for us: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 4: 6-7)

In my last semester here at a school of which I have spent nine years of my life learning and making memories, I refuse to let the past dictate what God has in store for me for the future. I encourage the rest of the senior class and all those who have shared my sorrow, to share my aforementioned defiance as well. Though January 2022 may feel like the beginning of the end of high school, the end has not yet arrived. There are still plenty of friendships to forge, opportunities to take and memories to be made. Let’s be grateful for the time that we have left, and keep our eyes forward to what will hopefully be a better year!

No comments:

Post a Comment