Tuesday 18 February 2020

More Than Basketball


By Jae Cho
           
The varsity guys and girls basketball team headed to Manila, Philippines on February 11th for the ACSC tournament. As I was part of the varsity basketball team, this trip was unique and different because it was going to be my last ACSC trip. I knew that during this trip, it was going to be something more than just competing and playing basketball. It was also about building more memories and friendships as I wanted to capture every moment with my friends. On the last game before the actual playoff game, I went up for a layup and got fouled and landed on somebody's feet. At that moment, I heard a loud pop in my ankle area, and I fell down in pain. As I was carried on to the medical bed by Coach Lee and Wansuk Kunawaradisai, I had a lot of stuff going through my mind. I was mad, sad, and devastated. I was mostly devastated and heartbroken because I knew that I would not be able to play anymore.

As I was lying down on the medical bed and waiting for the team doctor to come and check up on me, I was praying really hard. I did not want my senior season of basketball to end like this. This was not the ending that I had been picturing in my head.

After praying for 30 minutes or so, I suddenly had this feeling in my head and mind which made me calm down and think of ways to support my team in other ways off the court. Now that I look back, I found it grateful to be able to support my teammates mentally off the court as they participated in high competition. I am also very thankful for my teammates as they helped me a lot when I could not do much with just one working leg. I am genuinely grateful for my team.

We, as a team, also made many fun memories together that we will not forget. As one of our team captains, Wansuk Kunawaradisai (12) said, "The ACSC trip turned out to be so special because it wasn't only filled with great competition in basketball, but it was also filled with huge amounts of laughter and joy."

I think that at the end of the day, sports are not just all about competing. It is also about brotherhood and friendship. As Edward Seong (12), who had earned an all-tournament this ACSC, says, "It was more than basketball. It was brotherhood."



No comments:

Post a Comment