Tuesday 20 March 2018

Transitioning into Transition

Chia Ewe

March 15th started like any other weekday. As usual, the incessant rings of my alarm clock greeted me as I tried to get in more winks. I tried to ignore the annoying rings but a quick glance at the time persuaded me to get ready. It was already 3 minutes past 8 in the morning, and I was still in bed. Hmmm… Not bad. Though it was a pain to get up, I managed to drag myself into the bathroom. At least it was no ordinary school day.

The school had a transition retreat planned out for the seniors. What’s so special about this? Honestly, I didn't know, but I was excited to goof off with my friends. After a quick, lazy shower, I frantically filled my drawstring bag with two pairs of clothes and an iPad charger. I rushed out the door, while hugging my shoes and iPad, and hurried to school thinking I was going to be late. I could already picture being met with a signature “Wow! Take your sweet time,” from a certain Daniel Kim (12) of Dalat International School.

When I arrived, I was shocked by the abundance of huge luggage for a one-day trip. People really don’t know how to pack wisely at all. Funny enough, I got there before Daniel and made sure he got an earful of his own words. After making a mockery of him, we met up with our friends who were already there and continued to talk for a few more minutes waiting for an announcement. Soon after, our retreat began.

It was a long and difficult road to get to our destination; at least a hundred steps before we got to our meeting room. Man, did we travel far; and by that I mean we literally went next door to Paradise Hotel. Though I was ready to just have fun, I was surprised by the common appearance of helpful advice. I may have joked about just being next door, but that aside, it was quite helpful (though I didn't know at first).


Putting aside my morning mentality and sarcastic personality, I really did appreciate that the school was looking out for us. We were allowed free time, and the lectures were interactive. It wasn't always fun, but it was a good experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment