Tuesday 8 December 2015

‘Twas the Week before Finals

Abby Bengs
(Inspired by Clement Mark Moore’s poem, “A Visit from St. Nicholas”)

‘Twas the week before finals, when all through the house
Not a creature was studying, not even a mouse.
The notes were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that the fire would make them soon disappear.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of holiday freedoms danced in their heads.
All of them exhausted with procrastination at a wrap,
Their brains had already settled for a long winter’s nap.

When coming from above there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my desk to see what was the matter.
Awakened from my daydream, I flew like a flash
For the bell had rung, so to my last final I dashed!

For the last hour plus half my mind scattered like snow,
Not a pencil mark was left on the paper below.
When, what to my wondering mind should appear,
But the curse of senioritis that produced many a tear.

Floating around me was a list of to-do’s,
English, Science, and don’t forget--math, too.
College apps, memories, and saying goodbye;
All of these were in mind with the end a’nigh.

But one last to-do, which is often forgot
Is to make an impression, for what little time you’ve got.
Treat others kindly and be fully aware
That people will remember you by the words that you bear.

Though the days are few and you will soon be gone,
The world you leave behind will still carry on.
So what will you do to make these years matter,
How will you love before your love is soon scattered?

Though you are busy—your schedule is packed,
And it feels as though life is a balancing act;
There is one more thing, and it is this:

Invest in others, and it will be you that they miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment