Tuesday 8 September 2015

Knowing Dr. Stuart

Angela Tan
Meet Dr. Stuart, our new human anatomy and physiology teacher at Dalat International School, who also works as a chiropractor at Life Journey Centre in Penang. He may seem quiet and shy on the outside, but his passion for his job rages like a burning fire on the inside.
On the first day of school, Mr. Stuart walked into the human anatomy and physiology classroom. His day 1 introduction put the class into chills, because he told them that he doesn’t have much teaching experience. However, his passion for teaching this content has definitely been seen by the class, which has proved that any doubt is unnecessary.
So, why did he become a chiropractor? Mr. Stuart expresses that he was once hurt in high school while playing sports. Despite several medical treatments, nothing seemed to be helping him. He was then introduced to a chiropractic treatment, which ended up curing him. After this initial sport’s injury, he also encountered other health problems, but every time the chiropractor was able to cure him. It was then that he became impressed and gained interest in chiropractic work.
Mr. Stuart finds joy in his chiropractic career, even though it isn’t a very common—or understood—medical practice in Malaysia. Nevertheless, he enjoys it, despite that he gets nervous about communicating about his job to people who aren’t receptive to the idea of chiropractic work.
Mr. Stuart states that the most important reason he enjoys being a chiropractor is because he wants to help people, God’s creation, who are in need. As he says, “I get to see people get well, get healthy. It’s good to give them hope. Because many times a lot of them have been to the medical doctors, trying lots of different things, but nothing could really help them, so they just lost hope eventually. They’re looking for some type of answer outside, but really the answer is inside.”
Finally, when being asked why he decided to teach human anatomy and physiology, he says, “I was asked to become a teacher. And at first, I thought, ‘No way! I’m not a teacher. I can’t do that!’ But then I was encouraged by others, because they knew that I had passion for it. And I thought, what a better way to have influence on students then by teaching them about something that I’m passionate about. In one way, I feel like I’m just not qualified, [as] I’ve never taught a class before, but I definitely understand the human body. I’ve worked with it for twenty years. So I felt excited to teach it and eventually took up the job.”
So, if you ever have any questions regarding chiropractic work, Mr. Stuart should be the person you want to go to. He probably will end up amazing you by how much passion a doctor can have for his job.

No comments:

Post a Comment